Clarksville Personal Injury Attorneys
Aggressive representation for clients throughout Tennessee
When you have sustained a serious personal injury, you may need a helping hand when it comes to your recovery, or paying your bills. When that injury was the result of someone else’s negligence, however, you might be surprised at the pushback you get when you seek that helping hand. That’s why the Clarksville personal injury lawyers of the Rocky McElhaney Law Firm are always ready to represent your best interests and to fight on your behalf. Contact us today to learn more about what we can do for you.
When can I file a personal injury claim?
Not every injury is compensable; that means that sometimes, no one is at fault (or liable) for your injuries. However, you may be able to file a claim if you are hurt because of the negligent, reckless, or deliberate actions of another person.
- No claim: you tripped and fell over your coffee table at your home
- Potential claim: you tripped and fell over a broken piece of tile in the grocery store
In most cases, you only have one year from the day you were injured, or reasonably should have known you were injured, to file a personal injury claim in Clarksville. However, if you were hurt by a defective product, you may have one year, three years, or five years to file your claim.
Choosing the best Clarksville injury lawyer for you
Your personal injury attorney does more than represent you if you go to trial: Your attorney will deal with the insurance company, assist you with obtaining your medical records and crash reports, and ensure that the proper paperwork is filed on time. When choosing the best Clarksville injury lawyer for your needs, look for someone who:
- Has experience handling injury claims and lawsuits
- Makes constant communication a key part of representing you
- Knows how to build a winning case
- Anticipates potential pitfalls and issues that might arise with your case and plans to handle them appropriately
- Has a known track record of success both in and out of court and is willing to provide documentation of that experience
- Is easy to talk with, compassionate and straight forward with his or her answers.
- Is highly rated by previous clients and has plenty of relevant client testimonials across the web
Of course, it’s okay to contact an attorney you were referred to by a trusted friend or family member who has been helped by that attorney in the past. However, you must keep in mind that every case is different (even if it is the same type of law or situation). An attorney’s success with one individual’s case does not always mean that the attorney will have similar success with your case. It is always to your benefit to do your homework in making sure your attorney meets the criteria above and is best qualified fight for you and your family.
Can I afford an injury attorney?
Yes, you can. Our attorneys all work on contingency, which means you pay nothing until we win your case. We only take our fee from your jury award or settlement if we win your case. Our initial consultation is free, and you can call us with questions at any time.
How much is my case worth?
How much compensation you are awarded is directly related to what happened, the severity of your injuries, and what role negligence played in the incident that resulted in your harm. In short? There’s no definitive answer – but there are different kinds of damage you can claim, which can increase the amount of your overall award:
- Economic damages. Economic damages are the types of damages that can be counted. They include things like your medical bills, your lost wages, the cost of a car rental, the cost of additional therapies, or even the cost of daycare. There is no cap on these types of damages.
- Non-economic damages. Non-economic damages are more subjective. They include pain and suffering, loss of companionship, trauma, and permanent disabilities like blindness, or a loss of a limb. In most cases, these damages are capped at $750,000, but truly catastrophic injuries may be awarded $1 million in non-economic damages.
- Punitive damages. These types of damages are designed to punish the person or company who harmed you, because he, she or “it” behaved in a reckless, dangerous, or violent way. Thanks to a current ruling by a US District Court, Tennessee’s caps on punitive damages have been found unconstitutional, which means that there is no limit or cap on these types of awards.
How long will my personal injury case take?
The length of your case can vary. Sometimes, you will be offered a settlement right away. It is in your best interest NOT to accept this settlement offer before speaking with a lawyer. Often, insurance companies will attempt to lowball the award amount, because they know that you may need money right away. Remember: their goal is to pay out as little as possible on your claim.
By hiring a personal injury attorney, the insurance companies know that you mean business. This usually results in them offering a better, more just settlement amount right off the bat. If that happens, and you are satisfied with the amount of money they offer you, then your case could wrap up in a manner of months.
Litigation, however, can take more time. That’s why our attorneys work with you to ensure your needs are being met during the litigation process.
Did You Know?
Accidents were the 4th leading cause of death in Tennessee in 2017. – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Personal injury services for Clarksville clients
Rocky McElhaney Law Firm handles a wide array of personal injury claims for individuals, family members, and servicepersons in Clarksville and throughout Tennessee:
- Catastrophic personal injury claims, such as spinal injury and paralysis, traumatic brain injury, loss of limb, permanent disfigurement, and burn injuries
- Serious and fatal vehicle claims, including car wrecks, commercial truck accidents, motorcycle collisions, and accidents involving cyclists, pedestrians, and e-scooters
- Construction site injuries, including third-party injury claims, vehicle accidents, fatal workplace accidents, and workers’ compensation
- Workers’ compensation claims, including initial filings, appeals, and representation at hearings
- Social Security Disability claims, including initial filings, appeals, and representation at hearings
- Medical malpractice claims, including surgical errors, birth injuries, and mediation errors
- Nursing home negligence, including claims of physical, emotional, sexual and/or financial abuse
- Premises liability, including claims involving falls, violent attacks, toxic exposure, animal attacks, and claims against hotels, retail outlets, and schools
- Product liability, including claims involving defective auto parts, defective medical devices, and dangerous drugs
- Wrongful death, including claims brought against a defendant who has caused someone's death through negligence.
Special considerations for injuries at Fort Campbell
Certain active duty service personnel may have a different set of rules and regulations that must be followed after an injury. Each claim is different and what applies to one, may not apply to another. Our specialized and experienced Clarksville personal injury attorneys can investigate your claim to find out the best route to take to uncover the maximum compensation while working within those rules and regulations.
If you are currently stationed at, working at, or living on base at Fort Campbell, we can assist you and your military family with claims involving:
- Medical malpractice at Blanchfield Army Community Hospital
- Car wrecks involving federal vehicles
- Toxic exposure
- Workers’ compensation claims
- Non-Appropriated Fund Instrumentalities Act (NAF) claims
- Federal Employees’ Compensation Act (FECA) claims
- Federal Employers Liability Act (FELA) claims
Resources for injury victims in Clarksville
Montgomery County Court
2 Millenium Plaza
Clarksville, TN 37040
Clarksville Police Department
135 Commerce Street
Clarksville, TN 37040
Non-emergency number: 931-648-0656
After normal business hours: 931-552-1011
Long-Term Care Ombudsman
Lauren Meeker: [email protected]
502 Deaderick Street, 9th Floor
Nashville, TN 37243-0860
Toll Free: 877-236-0013
Injured in Clarksville? Get a Gladiator on your side!
Rocky McElhaney has been fighting on behalf of the injured and their families for 20 years. We know what you’re up against. You don’t have to do it alone. To schedule a consultation with an experienced Clarksville personal injury lawyer, please call [tel] or fill out our contact form. When you need help anywhere in Tennessee, the Rocky McElhaney Law Firm is ready and able to fight for you.