Clarksville Car Accident Lawyers
Fighting for car wreck victims throughout Tennessee
Car accidents are one of the leading causes of injury and death throughout the country, and Tennessee is no different. When you sustain a serious injury in a wreck, it doesn’t take long before the bills start to pile up, and the stress of recovery becomes overwhelming. You’re going to want a fighter in your corner, like the Rocky McElhaney Law Firm. Our Clarksville car accident attorneys have successfully represented clients in jury trials and settlement negotiations for years. Contact us today to learn how we can help you.
Making a claim for compensation after a collision
Clarksville’s roadways can be dangerous. I-24 runs right through Clarksville, and the chances are pretty good that if you’ve never been in a crash on that road, you know someone who has. The fact that we see so many car accidents doesn’t lessen the impact: a wreck can take a serious toll on your health, your finances, and your family’s well-being.
That’s why, if you were hit by a negligent driver, you can make a claim for compensation by asking for damages: a monetary award designed to compensate you for your economic losses (like car repairs, medical bills, and towing costs) and non-economic losses (pain and suffering, disability and/or disgorgement, and loss of enjoyment in life). Here’s what you need to know about making a claim:
- You should always seek medical attention after an accident to be checked out by a qualified medical care provider. This will also provide you with a medical record of proof of your complaints and injuries from the time of the wreck going forward.
- Under the doctrine of modified comparative negligence, you must be no more than 49% at-fault for the crash that caused your injuries, or you can be barred from recovering any damages. An attorney can explain this in more detail and discuss how it may apply to your claim once he or she is familiar with the specifics of your case.
- The insurance company will likely try to undervalue or devalue your settlement offer. While we all purchase insurance policies to protect us and our families, insurance companies make it their business to hold onto as much of our money as possible. Even if when the wreck was clearly not your fault, the insurance company has a team of people ready to deploy who will work very hard to build a case against you. Anything you tell the insurance company (even your own company) can be used against you. That’s why it’s always best to call an attorney right away. They can prepare you for the pitfalls and communicate with the insurance company on your behalf.
- Time is limited to file a claim. You only have one year from the date of your injury to make a claim for compensation. (This can change if the cause of your injuries was a defective car part.)
Insurance companies and settlement offers
The insurance company is a business, not a friend: its sole goal is to make as much money as possible, and to keep that money in its coffers.
If you were injured and your car was wrecked, the insurance company will attempt to pay you as little as they can. You can try to settle a claim on your own, but the chances are good that you will be offered a much more just and fair settlement offer if you work with an attorney.
Will my insurance premiums go up after a car accident?
If you were not at-fault for the car accident, then your insurance premiums should remain the same. This should also be true if you are the victim of a hit-and-run. That’s why you want to work with an attorney, instead of trying to settle on your own. If your insurance company thinks you were to blame, or manages to get you to admit fault, then your premiums could rise.
What will my Clarksville car crash attorney do for me?
We’ve worked with a lot of clients, and one of the questions we hear the most is, “Do I really need a lawyer?” The short answer is yes – you do. Your Clarksville car crash injury attorney does much more than represent you in court:
- We deal with your insurance company: We’ll do the negotiating on your behalf to get you a better compensation award.
- We have the financial resources to hire the experts you need: We work with accident reconstructionists, economic experts, forensic analysts, engineers, mechanics, and designers to show exactly what happened, why you need help, and how much compensation you will need to care for yourself and your loved ones.
- We get the information from key players: We talk to witnesses, police, and any other relevant parties about what they saw at the scene of the crash.
- We conduct an investigation and preserve evidence: We investigate the accident ourselves, getting photographic and video evidence of the scene, your vehicle and the other party’s vehicle.
- We obtain medical proof: We make sure that your medical records are always up-to-date, and that your paperwork is filed correctly and on time.
- We help get you the care you deserve: We can recommend good physical therapists, counselors, and daycare providers, in case you need some extra help.
In short, we level the playing field for our clients.
Can I afford a lawyer after a car accident?
Car accident injury lawyers work on contingency: that means that you don’t pay anything unless we win your case. The consultation is also free and since our attorney fee is based on obtaining the maximum recovery available to you in your case, you have nothing to lose by calling and everything to gain
Common auto accident claims in Clarksville
Every car accident is different, and you want a lawyer who has experience with all sorts of claims. Our firm handles:
- Rear-end collisions
- Head-on collisions
- Broadside collisions
- Multi-car accidents
- Distracted driving accidents
- Drunk or drugged driver accidents
- Hit-and-run accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Construction zone accidents
- Accidents caused by defective automobiles
- Taxi, Uber or Lyft accidents
- Fatal car accidents
Did You Know?
There were 1,148 fatal traffic crashes in Tennessee in 2019. – TN Department of Safety & Homeland Security
What if the other driver doesn’t have enough insurance?
If you were hit by a driver who has the bare minimum of insurance or has no insurance, or if you were the victim of a hit-and-run crash, then you should be able to make a claim through your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM).
Why you must reach out to a lawyer as soon as possible
Even though you might have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, your insurance company may still deny your claim or make the process trying to obtain your coverage extremely difficult.
Remember, the insurance company is not your friend, they are a business. Even though you paid your premiums every month on time for years, their job is to retain as much money for that business as possible.
Getting an attorney involved early ensures that the right steps will be taken and that things are moving in the direction they should be. An attorney will also help facilitate communication with your insurance company so that you don't accidentally say something that could devalue or threaten your valid claim.
Clarksville car accident injury claims
People get seriously injured in car crashes every day. Even a “minor” accident, or a collision at low speeds, can lead to permanent injuries and chronic pain. We work on behalf of people who have sustained:
- Traumatic brain injuries and permanent brain damage
- Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Head, neck and back injuries like whiplash and compressed vertebrae
- Permanent nerve damage
- Muscle, ligament, and joint damage
- Burn injuries
- Loss of limb
- Tissue and organ damage
- Broken bones
- Permanent scarring or disfigurement
- Permanent disability
Hurt in a car accident in Clarksville? Time to call Rocky!
For the last 20 years, Rocky McElhaney has fought on behalf of the injured. Now, his entire team stands ready to fight for you, too. If you sustained injuries in a car crash in Clarksville, get a Gladiator on your side! Please call [tel] or fill out our contact form. The Rocky McElhaney Law Firm is proud to serve clients throughout Tennessee.